I love data. I love the patterns. I love the disaggregation. I love it when it points us in the right direction. And, I especially love it when it’s wrong. It’s like real world Craps.
But there are some problems with the way we use data in schools. Here is the biggest one.
Almost every educator believes that student performance data is about students. It is not.
Student performance data is about adults. It is about Federal, State and Local Policy. It’s is about family wealth. It’s about campus instructional tools and infrastructure. It’s about educator attitude, opinions and practice.
Which means you can use your data to sort kids, which is the education equivalent to shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.
Or, you can use your data to change adult practice. A lot harder, but a whole lot more impactful.
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: NAESP Summer Conference; NASSP Summer Conference; FCSTAT Summer Conference (Keynote); Fundamental 5 National Summit (Keynote); RISE Education Conference
- Follow @LYSNation on Twitter and Lead Your School on Facebook.
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – Five Fest 2019 Edition October 30, 2019
- Just 4 Days Away – The Fundamental 5 National Summit October 23, 2019