A reader asks…
Just curious, what did you teach and where did you teach?
Thanks for asking. In all honesty, at this point in my career the only relevance of my time in the classroom is that I spent time in the classroom. Today’s curriculum resources, understanding of high-yield instructional practices, and performance accountability have advanced so far beyond what was the standard when I was teaching that there is next to nothing that the current teacher does that I did (which is a good thing).
That being said, I loved my time in the classroom. I taught math, science and students with emotional disturbances at an inner-city school in Houston, Texas.
With student population I taught, you learn a lot about good classroom management, relationship building, student motivation and purposeful instructional environments very quickly.
I was a good teacher, in my era. But that same teacher, doing the same thing in today’s classroom… Not so good.
Which is why I remind every teacher and administrator I work with, “Don’t be me. Be better than me.”
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: Fundamental 5 National Summit (Keynote); ASCD Empower Conference; TASSP Summer Conference (Keynote)
- Follow @LYSNation on Twitter and Lead Your School on Facebook.
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – Five Fest 2019 Edition October 30, 2019
- Just 4 Days Away – The Fundamental 5 National Summit October 23, 2019