Right at the top of the Declaration of Independence it is written that we have the right to pursue Life, Liberty and Happiness. Yet, within our boarders the greatest daily danger to ending my Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness is the unfettered and unrestricted access to firearms by my fellow citizens. Which means that to protect our most basic and important right, LIFE, there needs to be some common-sense restraints to other, slightly less important, rights.
Let’s start with some honest discussion. The vast majority of gun violence is committed by males under the age of 35. If you are a male under 35 with a gun, you are more dangerous to your fellow citizens than all the rest of us are.
We restrict those who vote. We restrict those who drive. We restrict those who drink and smoke. All of this for the common good. I suggest that we have an age limit for unrestricted gun ownership. Just a common-sense rule with some common-sense exceptions.
If you are under the age of 30, we should restrict your ability to purchase a firearm. If you are over the age or 30, buy away.
I concede that this sounds awfully draconian and big brother like (even though we know it’s for the greater public good), so here are some common-sense exceptions.
A. Those serving in the military or are honorably discharged from the military can purchase firearms before the age of 30.
B. Certified peace officers can purchase firearms before the age of 30.
C. Those who have completed a significant hunter safety course (not a blow-off course, see the 3/22/18 Concealed Firearm License post) can purchase a firearm before the age of 30.
D. Those who have completed a significant gun safety course (not a blow-off course, see the 3/22/18 Concealed Firearm License post) can purchase a firearm before the age of 30.
If you are under 30, and meet any of the above listed four requirements, you can buy a gun.
If you are under 30, and do not meet any of the above listed four requirements, by your own lack of action and lack of demonstrated responsibility, you are confirming that the last thing you need is a gun in your hand.
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: ESC 9 Leadership Conference (Multiple Presentations); LYS / ESC 4 Principals Symposium (Keynote); NAESP National Conference (Multiple Presentations); NASSP National Principals Conference; LYS / TASSP Leadership Symposium (Keynote)
- Follow @LYSNation on Twitter and Lead Your School on facebook.
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – Five Fest 2019 Edition October 30, 2019
- Just 4 Days Away – The Fundamental 5 National Summit October 23, 2019