School is starting in the next couple of weeks, so now is a good time to review the Fundamental 5 for cultivating classroom environments that enhance student performance.
1. When it comes to classroom displays and decor, LESS is more. For most teachers, a good rule of thumb is in comparison to what was in the room last year… reduce it by ½.
2. Reduce the amount of clutter in the room. This means that any non-instructional decor or accents, leave them at home.
3. Get you room organized and keep it organized. This also includes the teacher’s workspace.
4. Keep the room clean. The good news is with the reduced clutter and improved organization, this will be easier than ever before.
5. Keep the lights on, and if available, keep the window blinds open. Long story, short: More light engages the brain, less light slows the brain down.
Embrace these 5 environment fundamentals and you will quickly notice improved student focus, engagement, and performance.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Timer (Fundamental 5 Delivery Tool); PowerWalks CLC (Networked Formative Observation Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Illinois ASCD Fall Conference (Multiple Presentations), Texas Elementary Principals and Supervisors Association Fall AP Conference, The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook