In response to the 6/5/2014 post, “Resume Basics,” I’ve had some readers asked me to better explain what I had in mind when I stated that you need to separate yourself from the pack. Here are five things that can do just that. 1. Find a problem, solve it, and show the results. Everyone can point out the myriad of things that aren’t working on a campus, any campus. Pick one of those things (that actually matters), create a solution, work the solution and document the improvement.
2. Coach staff, describe process, and show the results. First year attrition is a significant problem in education. Take a group of rookies under your wing and spend a year coaching them up. Document their success compared to other first year hires in the district.
3. Speak and present. For a profession that is based on talking, it is surprising how most educators avoid speaking to large groups. Send in a proposal to talk at a state or national conference. Get accepted and present and you have now done something that 95% of other educators have not.
4. Train staff or peers. Become an expert in a process or skill and start training other people. It could be your team, your campus or teachers from across the district. Everyone “knows” what people should do. Any moron can tell people what to do. It is a unique person who can train adult to successfully implement what should be done.
5. Seek out challenges and show the result. I don’t fault anyone who works in “safe” settings. But do know that you probably don’t stand out. On the other hand, if you want to be noticed, take the road less traveled and move the needle in a positive direction. That will move your resume to the “interesting” pile.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: TASSP Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); Texas ASCD Summer Conference; ESC 14 Sumer Conference (Keynote Presentation); ESC 11 Summer Conference (Keynote Presentation); NEASP National Conference; The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Keynote Presentation)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook