After presenting a Fundamental 5 refresher session, a LYS Assistant Superintendent received the following note (abridged) from a new (to the district) teacher.
I wanted to send a quick follow-up to the training you conducted yesterday. It was a superb explanation of the Fundamental 5 and the importance of utilizing it for the benefit of the students.
I’m coming from (another district) where we integrated a TAP program over the last couple of years. It was similar to the Fundamental 5, but it was teacher output geared instead of student output geared. As you can imagine, teachers didn’t like being “graded” or “scolded” for their practices, so it wasn’t well accepted. I appreciate focusing on student outcomes and taking some of the pressure off the teachers. Also, you don’t expect 100%, 100% of the time. You acknowledged the daily challenges and that our practice won’t always be perfect, but just do our best.
I just want you to know I love what you guys are doing here and I am so grateful to be a part of this district. I feel I am in a place that truly focuses on each and every student and will do what it takes to make him or her successful.
SC Response It is funny that the teachers who most appreciate working in LYS districts and schools are the ones that previously worked in non-LYS districts and schools. They are the ones who can best identify the difference between working with tools and support and not.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: North Dakota Principals Association Conference (Keynote Speaker), TASSP Assistant Principals’ Workshop (Featured Speaker), American Association of School Administrators Conference (Multiple Presentations), National Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations), Texas Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation