A LYS Principal shares the following:
Like most schools I have some first year teachers on my campus. One in particular was having a very difficult first couple of weeks. Just having the best of intentions and teaching like she was taught was not working for her. About three weeks in, she was ready to quit. As you know, we are a Fundamental 5 campus, so instead of letting her quit we doubled down on her Fundamental 5 induction and PowerWalks, speeding up the process and checking on her even more frequently in order to cue the practices she was attempting to implement.
Now, after nine weeks, not only does she Frame Lessons beautifully, she may be the best on my campus at actually closing her lessons. As I was observing her do this today, I asked one of her students, “Hey, what is this closing question business?”
His answer, “We do this everyday to make sure we get it and so Ms. B knows that we got it.”
We love the Fundamental 5.
SC Response We are hearing more and more stories like this. Here are the common elements.
1. The school is focused on implementing the Fundamental 5, campus-wide.
2. Instructional support is out, in classrooms daily, providing… wait for it… instructional support.
3. When something isn’t working, no one panics. They re-group and take a slightly different tact.
Great story, nice job and let your teacher know that we are pulling for her.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: TASSP Assistant Principals’ Workshop (Featured Speaker), American Association of School Administrators Conference (Multiple Presentations), National Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation