A LYS Superintendent writes the following:
I just spent the morning in a regional superintendents’ meeting. There are 50 superintendents in my region, 35 showed up. After 90 minutes of banal topics and conversation we eventually got to “Visioning,” based on a document provided by the state superintendent’s organization.
Keep in mind most of the high schools in my region are Academically Unacceptable. First, of the 35 superintendents present, more than half leave when the “visioning” discussion begins, so we are left with the dedicated, best and brightest.
What did this esteemed group want to discuss? More technology for students and teachers is their first priority, especially BYOD. I spoke up and said that addressing BYOD was fine, but this alone would not solve the fundamental problem of ineffective instruction in the classroom. They looked at me like I a slapped a child.
I channeled my inner Sean, listened, and didn’t say another word. And I thought, “Sean does this everyday.”
Hang in there my friend.
SC Response Just look at it this way. We are teachers. Sometimes we have a class full of bright students, sometimes not. Regardless of who is in our classroom, our job is to make sure that we further the education of each student and position each one for a brighter future. Sometimes it just takes longer and we have to try harder, but eventually they’ll come around.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: TASSP Assistant Principals’ Workshop (Featured Speaker), American Association of School Administrators Conference (Multiple Presentations), National Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation