A bunch of you are going to get a promotion over the summer: Teacher to Assistant Principal; Assistant Principal to Principal; Principal to Assistant Superintendent; Assistant Superintendent to Superintendent.
When you get that promotion, some well-meaning peer or mentor is going to give you some real bad advice. They are going to tell you to take your time to ease in to the position, observe the operations for a semester to a year, don’t make waves or big changes early. They are wrong.
You got hired to make a difference and execute your plan. Go in and make the changes that need to be made at the time when people expect changes to be made…
When you first get there.
During the honeymoon period of a new job, people expect you to do thing different, they give you the benefit of the doubt, and they are quicker to forgive. Waste the honeymoon, and when you finally do begin to make the changes you were hired to make, it will be much more difficult and painful.
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: LYS / ESC 4 Principals Symposium (Keynote); TASSP Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); TEPSA Summer Conference; LYS / ESC 3 Fundamental 5 Leadership Symposium; VASSP Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); NAESP National Conference (Multiple Presentations); NASSP National Principals Conference; LYS / TASSP Leadership Symposium (Keynote)
- Follow @LYSNation on Twitter and Lead Your School on Facebook.
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – Five Fest 2019 Edition October 30, 2019
- Just 4 Days Away – The Fundamental 5 National Summit October 23, 2019