“All vouchers really do is let my money follow my child. It finally gives me a choice.”
Such a compelling and seductive lie. Especially, if you ignore the facts.
Fact One: The typical single family’s school taxes are less than the typical voucher. Which means that it is not YOUR money following your child. It is OUR money. And the more school age children in the house, the less of your money is educating your children. It is a bucket load of OUR money that doing the job.
Fact Two: School choice already exists. People select their home based on schools and school districts. Within public school districts, schools other than the neighborhood schools can be selected. And other public school districts outside the district of residence will accept children. So a lot of public supported, public school choice exists. But even then, if the parent is not happy with the smorgasbord of public school choice, additional options exist. The public just isn’t going to pay for non-public selections.
Fact Three: If the parent gets to choose where the family’s tax dollars go, what about the taxpaying adult without children. Can she choose where her tax dollars go?
And here is where it gets personal. I don’t have school aged children in my household. Right now, my wife and I happily and willingly choose to let OUR school tax dollars support the local public schools and the children of our neighbors and fellow citizens. Change that equation, send OUR public school tax dollars to private schools that openly SEGREGATE and EXCLUDE (as is their right) and I am no longer a happy and willing taxpayer. And that becomes a problem for my neighbors, fellow citizens and elected officials.
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: Virginia Middle and High School Principals Conference; The National Principals Conference; The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Keynote)
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Timer (Fundamental 5 Delivery Tool); PowerWalks CLC (Networked Formative Observation Tool)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – Five Fest 2019 Edition October 30, 2019
- Just 4 Days Away – The Fundamental 5 National Summit October 23, 2019