A LYS Teacher (and an aspiring campus leader) asks the following question:
How does an effective school leader assess and solve problems or challenges?
SC Response Good question. One that could serve as a topic for an entire book. But I’m going to give you the 80% answer. The answer that will serve you 80% of the time.
1. Watch your indicators, both leading and lagging. And when an indicator catches your attention, recognize that the indicator is a symptom. Go find and solve the problem and the symptom will go away.
2. Stay focused on student need. You can spend a lot of time solving adult problems that have absolutely no positive effect on student performance. Keep student performance moving forward and adult problems begin to evaporate.
3. Plan for the worst, expect the best. The initial contingency planning makes you a more flexible thinker when faced with an actual problem. And if you expect things to go well, they often do.
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: Texas ASCD Summer Conference, TASSP Summer Conference, Virginia Middle and High School Principals Conference; The National Principals Conference; The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Keynote)
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Timer (Fundamental 5 Delivery Tool); PowerWalks CLC (Networked Formative Observation Tool)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- State Of The Blog – The Last 100 Posts (2,800 And Counting) November 19, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 18, 2019 November 18, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019