Early in my leadership career, my Superintendent, Bob Brezina, taught me the value of the “Walk & Talk.” The “Walk & Talk” may be the most powerful induction / teaching / coaching tool in the arsenal of a leader.
It works like this.
1. On a regular basis, the leader goes to the site of the subordinate (instead of having the subordinate come to the leader).
2. The leader and the subordinate walk the subordinate’s site (instead of sitting in the subordinate’s office).
3. What is observed during the walk drives the discussion between the two.
In these discussions the leader gets to talk about what should be done, why it should be done, and ideas on how it can be done. With this conversation, the subordinate gains insight into how the leader thinks and the culture of the organization.
The subordinate talks about things that have been done and are being done; initiatives that are being implemented and issues that are being dealt with on the site. The leader gains insight into the progress and capacity of the subordinate.
And all of this is being done while observing the actual work of the organization.
Here is a suggested list of who walks with whom.
Superintendent: Walks with Assistant Superintendents and Principals
Assistant Superintendent: Walks with Directors and Principals
Principal: Walks with Assistant Principals, Counselors, Instructional Specialists and Teachers
Assistant Principal: Walks with Instructional Specialists and Teachers
The “Walk & Talk,” improves communication, relationships, staff capacity, and organization performance. So who are you walking and talking with today?
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Timer (Fundamental 5 Delivery Tool); PowerWalks CLC (Networked Formative Observation Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Texas Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations); Texas Elementary Principals and Supervisors Association Conference (Multiple Presentations); LYS / TASSP Advanced Leadership Academy (Keynote)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook