A new LYSer asks the following:
I have begun utilizing the PowerWalks Instructional Observation System. I like it… a lot. I do have a quick question… How does the teacher view the survey? When an email is sent, they only seem to have access to the Notes section not the entire survey.
SC Response Not sending a completed observation form to the teacher is by design.
A single, three-minute walk-thru is too short of a time frame for in-depth feedback. Even the best observation will have more unchecked items on the observation form than checked items. Additionally, there are some items, if only checked 10% of the time, would represent exemplar performance. Due to this understanding, PowerWalks is not designed to overwhelm teachers with minutiae. It is designed for coaching and trend-based adjustments.
How this is done:
1. The report building feature of PowerWalks allows the coaching team to build, for teachers, trend reports that illustrate observed instructional practices. It takes 15-20 observations to have a relevant sample size of practice to share with an individual teacher.
2. If the observer witnesses exceptional practice during the observation, the system will alert the observer and generate a “Powerful Practice” notice.
3. The observer can send an email note to the teacher. However, it is never appropriate to send a negative comment or pointed question by email.
Finally, just sending teachers a copy of their observations and not actually talking to them is not efficient practice. It is lazy practice. I hope this provides some clarification. We do recommend a training day that addresses appropriate use and the power and versatility of the PowerWalks system.
I hope this helps.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Timer (Fundamental 5 Delivery Tool); PowerWalks CLC (Networked Formative Observation Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: TASSP Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); TEPSA Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); NAESP National Conference; Illinois ASCD Fall Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook