I have talked extensively about how the schools that consistently outperform their peers make better use of time. The tempo of these peer-beating schools is always a notch or two above the norm, and nowhere is this more evident than at the end of the year. When everyone else is winding down, these campuses are still pushing forward. If your campus is going to join these ranks, you need to have a “May Plan,” or in Texas, an “After STAAR Plan.” Here is what my “After STAAR Plan” would look like:
The day after the STAAR test for a given course, I would begin teaching the first unit of the next course. For example, the day after my 7th graders take the 7th grade math STAAR, we begin day one of 8th grade math and teach at full speed until the last day of school. At the beginning of the next year, I start teaching day one of 8th grade math on day one of school. No need for review or easing into the subject because my students are already familiar with the material. Due to that familiarity, all of my students will have better grades on their initial assignments sowing the seeds of confidence and optimism.
Now imagine the long-term effect of implementing this plan on your campus as opposed to 4 week slow down process that is all too typical in May. So what is your plan?
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: TASSP Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); Texas ASCD Summer Conference; ESC 14 Sumer Conference (Keynote Presentation); ESC 11 Summer Conference (Keynote Presentation); NEASP National Conference; The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Keynote Presentation)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook