A long time LYSer shares the following:
Generally, opinions (especially those in letters to the editor) garner responses based on further opinions and do little to promote a resolution of any problem. Opinions to the side, I want to give reason as to why CSCOPE is a valuable tool in the advancing of rigorous, relevant and retentive education for our children. Contrary to popular opinion, CSCOPE is far more than a repository for lesson plans. In fact, the argument raised against CSCOPE came to the attention of the public based on a lesson plan covering historical content we all learned in history class. When the teacher put a “personal” touch to the lesson, it was blown far out of proportion and became the poster child of disagreement.
CSCOPE is a curriculum delivery system that creates an alignment of instruction allowing students to discover the connected learning of knowledge and skills that is desperately needed for today’s 21st Century P-20 world. The YAG, VAD and IFD are tools available in CSCOPE that not only promote a sensible alignment but allow teachers to prepare students for what is the next step in their learning journey as determined by the TEKS (which was not created by CSCOPE). It also allows teachers the opportunity to plan lessons themselves more freely because they do not have to do all the research needed in disaggregating the TEKS for each subject and grade level and be left with finding sources that are current in an ever changing world instead of from textbooks that become out-of-date within a year but are only up for adoption every five to ten years. Knowing how the essential elements are connected, understood and even misunderstood makes our teachers more effective instructors and thus our students more effective learners.
In today’s world, our teachers need all the assistance and resources they can find and secure. CSCOPE is one of those effective and productive resources which when properly implemented and trusted moves far beyond sample lesson plans (which can be found anywhere thanks to technology) and moves into a focused, on-target and engaging educational journey that reaches beyond what any short-staffed curriculum department could write and into what every teacher would desire – Students Achieving Future Expectations (SAFE). CSCOPE is not the enemy of education. It is SAFE for our teachers, students and our future.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Multiple Presentations); NASSP National Conference
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook