In response to the 2/15/13 post, “It Seems That CSCOPE is the Root of All Evil (Part 4 of 4),” a reader writes:
If I were Dr. Labay, I would be furious about the way this was presented.
SC Response JV,
I’m genuinely curious. What about this do you think would make him furious?
Looking forward to your response.
I felt that it was degrading and insulting. However, I am genuinely impressed with your astoundingly quick response. It was “Anti-CSCOPE Argument #11.”
It portrays him as, “An evil genius / incompetent… hood winked a whole State…”
The response WAS good and thorough, but the introduction was in a negative manner. It’s like “Rapist caught” and slandering an innocent person, then later, stating that it was an error… that the accused was a wonderful person. There is a statistically-significant amount of people, when data are presented in the negative, they believe / accept it, and, regardless of trying to correct it, always has a stain on it, a questionable belief.
SC Response A-ha. Now I understand. Kind of like, “The controversial CSCOPE program…” But here is the sad part. That wasn’t my introduction. As with all the Anti-CSCOPE arguments, the characterizations came straight from the anti-blog sites and related comments. I agree that it is insulting and I understand your disgust. I felt the same way. Which is why I wrote the posts. Those who hate something are publicly vocal. Those who love something are privately vocal. And those who just find something useful say nothing. Knowing that, I decided to defend a useful tool or at least show that the Anti-CSCOPE Loonies do not have logic on their side.
The primacy / recency effect tells us what happens last is what we remember most vividly. So…
Dr. Labay and the CSCOPE team are consummate professionals who built a remarkably useful tool in relative obscurity. Their reward? To be publicly insulted and denigrated by a power hunger state senator and a host of fringe actors. It makes me sad, because my Momma raised me to believe that Texans are better than that. I wonder what their Momma’s think?
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Texas Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook