If you are not coaching your people, they aren’t getting better. And if your people aren’t getting better, student performance is not improving like it needs to. You can’t escape the fundamental truth that adult practice drives student performance. Face-to-face coaching is always your most effective leadership practice and what you should strive to do in every case. However, sometimes circumstances prevent you from meeting face-to-face in a timely fashion. In that case, written coaching notes are the next best solution. Below is a note that Lesa Cain sent to the instructional coaches at one of her campuses. Hopefully, you will find the example useful.
Hey guys! Today, Ms. W. and I did a number of PowerWalks together and saw some really great things happening in some classes and some areas in need of your coaching expertise. Lesson Frames are hit and miss. Some are spot on and some are still activities. Please coach your people on this. I’m going to check Frames when I return in a month and if we still have a ton of activities – it’s on you. You are the closest to the staff on a daily basis, so use your expertise to boost your teachers so they can boost the kids. If the teacher is not directly teaching, then coach them right then and there. Otherwise, find them between classes, in the hall, in the bathroom, before or after school – do not miss an opportunity.
You guys are so knowledgeable and the staff are willing to listen and implement what you coach them to do. My confidence in your abilities is extremely high, which is why I am being so direct with you. Remember, anything positive or negative in a school is a direct reflection of campus leadership.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Texas Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook