A LYS Superintendent recently sent in the following:
I’m beginning to like these conversations with you very much! Let’s keep them going.
They energize me at 5:45 in the morning when I’m sitting at my desk; much better that coffee.
We shouldn’t look over our shoulders and regret that we didn’t start sooner. Rather, let’s rejoice in the fact that we are now in a position to bring our collective wisdom and experience to a district that is hungry to improve. Honestly, how rare is that?
Now we just have to help people deal with the reality of addressing that hunger. For example, yesterday, one of my directors stopped me in the hallway and said, “Boss, the stress you predicted and I observed last week at a campus… well, it’s everywhere. I basically had teachers stop me today and tell me that they are literally crying on each other’s shoulders”.
I listened carefully and replied, “Let me tell you how Superintendent’s think. Did the teachers cry on each other’s shoulders last week when ¾ of our campuses missed AYP? Did they cry when our most fragile students failed year after year? Did they cry when our graduates weren’t accepted to the best universities? No, they didn’t. But they do cry when we begin to take the necessary steps to position more of our students to be successful. Right now we have good people with the wrong focus. We can’t be OK with kids failing and then adults complaining when we change our routines to address this.”
The longer I do this, the more I’m OK with shedding a few tears. Working with you, and other LYS leaders have given me the “gift of sight.” I now see situations and circumstances from the kids’ perspectives.
I’m not angry. I’m very energized, excited and I AM RESOLVED!
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: National Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations), Texas Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like LYS on Facebook