One of the benefits of bootleg technology is the ability to easily download apps. Now remember, an app is simply a software packet that we download onto our phones and tablets. Most people take some precautions when downloading software on their computers. But with phones and tablets, users throw caution to the wind and download any and everything. Not the smartest thing one could do. There are rouge apps that mine your device for information to steal identities. There are legitimate “free” apps that sell information about you to marketing companies, install background software on your device, and/or run ads that use significant amounts of data.
So what should you do? First, download apps only from trusted sources. Second, delete the free apps on your device that you do not use. Third, if you like an app, purchase the upgraded version. The paid versions generally don’t have the embedded advertising.
A number of you in the LYS Nation are now using your own bootleg technology devices to follow Twitter. If you haven’t done so yet, we want you to join us. To let you see what you are missing, here are the Top 10 LYS Tweets from the week of August 26, 2012.
1. Fundamental 5 is a huge part of the improvement plans for our 46 campuses. Look forward to observing strategies in use. (By @LindaHenrie1)
2. Started PowerWalks on Day 2. Looking great. New APs are loving the PowerWalks program and Fundamental 5. Plan on being a PowerWalks Hero! (By @brandyjbaker)
3. After almost 12 years of declining enrollment our enrollment is up almost 10%. No new houses or businesses. Parents vote with feet. (By @txschoolsupe)
4. If a formative assessment strategy doesn’t include providing feedback and instructional adjustments…it is just a neat activity. (By @principalkinney)
5. Winding up a super first week. Saw great examples of framing the lesson. Good discussions on the Power Zone too. Have a great weekend. (By @LindaHenrie1)
6. How are school leaders supposed to develop a climate of instructional leadership when they don’t understand instruction? I have met few who do. (By @txschoolsupe)
7. I’m glad a former railroad guy is running education in Texas. Gives new meaning to the term “railroaded.” (By @DrJerryRBurkett)
8. Reviewing the research so you don’t have to: Study shows that habitual truants are more at risk to drop out.
9. Sarcasm had no place in schools. It is only funny to the speaker and possibly the audience, never the recipient.
10. Visited the new Billy Regan K-8 Education Center this morning–joined by the living legend, former HISD Superintendent Dr. Billy Regan! (By @tgrierhisd)
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote), Advancing Improvement in Education Conference (Multiple Presentations), TASSP Assistant Principals’ Workshop (Featured Speaker), American Association of School Administrators Conference (Multiple Presentations), National Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation