In response to the 10/28/2011 post, “Yesterday was a Top Ten Day,” The Big Easy writes: SC, Just got around to reading this post. While the hectic pace that you maintain does not surprise me, I am amazed at your energy and passion for what you do. This post caused me to reflect on the ten years plus that I have had the privilege of working for and with you. During that time, I have witnessed you leading in a way that is often talked about but not practiced on a consistent and regular basis (with the exception of LYSers). A few of the many things I have learned from you:
- Leadership is a calling, not something that can be assigned.
- Put people in a position so that they can succeed and give them credit (you often do this, even when the credit should be reserved for yourself).
- Tell people the truth, even when it hurts.
- Read, study, think.
- Keep it simple.
- Surround yourself with outstanding people/educators (like Bob Brezina and E. Don Brown).
I appreciate what you and the LYS organization stand for and congratulate you on what you have accomplished in a short period of time. The Big Easy SC Response Thanks for the kind words. And I have more of your teaching to share with schools. Here are some things that I have learned from and with you in those same ten years.
- If you are trying to be “The Leader” in a room full of leaders, the room will quickly empty.
- No one works for “you.” They either work for a belief or a paycheck. Those who work for a belief will do whatever it takes to further or achieve the belief. Those who work for a paycheck won’t stick around long because they never believe that they are getting paid what they are worth.
- Fill your teams with people who compensate for weaknesses more than they complement your strengths.
- Stay humble and keep your head on a swivel, life is very good at reminding you that you are not all that.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/4ydqd4t
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Confirmed 2012 Presentations: Oklahoma Association of Middle School Principal’s Mid-Winter Conference; NASSP Conference; NASB Conference; Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote)