You are about to get the new apex operational leadership position (Principal or Superintendent). You will be asked what you need to be successful. Tell whoever asks that question that you need three people.
You will need three people that know how you work, you can rely on, will spread your message, are loyal to you, and you can trust. With the right three people your ability to effect positive change will be accelerated and your effectiveness magnified.
So, who are these three people? It depends.
At the Principal level your secretary always occupies the first slot. After that, it could be an Assistant Principal, Instructional Coach, Teacher or even a Custodian. Never under estimate the value of an exceptional custodian.
At the Superintendent level, again you secretary occupies the first slot. The other two slots are usually executive level central office personnel and/or principals.
Now what should you do if the person, or people, hiring you balk at letting you bring your three people? Just point out that there is already a long-standing precedent for doing this in the district. Every time there is a new Head Football Coach hired, it is understood that he will be bring coaches with him.
And the academic program is at least as important as football… isn’t it?
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: LYS / ESC 4 Principals Symposium (Keynote); TASSP Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); TEPSA Summer Conference; LYS / ESC 3 Fundamental 5 Leadership Symposium; VASSP Summer Conference (Multiple Presentations); NAESP National Conference (Multiple Presentations); NASSP National Principals Conference; LYS / TASSP Leadership Symposium (Keynote)
- Follow @LYSNation on Twitter and Lead Your School on Facebook.
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – Five Fest 2019 Edition October 30, 2019
- Just 4 Days Away – The Fundamental 5 National Summit October 23, 2019