LYS Coach, Jeanette Nelson, add another reason for why school vouchers are a bad idea and horrible public policy.
All of these posts addressing the foibles of school vouchers got me thinking about another point.
Let’s say a parent takes a school voucher, uses it to go to a private school, and decides after a few weeks or months that the private school is not right for the child. So, the parent goes back to the public school to re-enrolls her child. But wait, the money to educate that child is gone! Paid to the private school.
Now, can the district charge the parent tuition? If not, now the public school is educating the child with no (or severely reduced) funding (really bad for public schools). Or the taxpayer is paying twice to educate the child once (really bad for taxpayers).
Or, can the parent get a refund from the private school? What if it’s only a partial refund? If yes, then where does the refund go? In the pocket of the parent? Back to the state?
Can the district even accept that money once it has been refunded or can it only be used for another private school?
No one is thinking about all this. Least of all our anti-public school, pro-voucher politicians.
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Upcoming Conference Presentations: The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Keynote)
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Timer (Fundamental 5 Delivery Tool); PowerWalks CLC (Networked Formative Observation Tool)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook
Send us your response to this
Recent Blog Posts
- State Of The Blog – The Last 100 Posts (2,800 And Counting) November 19, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 18, 2019 November 18, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Written “Constructive” Feedback From An Observation November 14, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Lesson Frames in a Multi-level / Multi-content Classroom November 13, 2019
- A Reader Asks… Using PowerWalks For Staff Coaching November 12, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 11, 2019 November 11, 2019
- A Testimonial From The Fundamental 5 National Summit November 8, 2019
- PowerWalks Legendary Leadership Badge (October 2019) November 7, 2019
- PowerWalks Hero Schools (October 2019) November 6, 2019
- Top LYS Tweets – November 5, 2019 November 5, 2019