In response to the 3/19/13 post, “What Do You Really Think,” a LYS Superintendent writes:
Amen, Sean. CSCOPE is a tool and a tool that we had to find in order to align the three curriculums Fenwick English identified: the written curriculum (TEKS with SEs); the taught curriculum (scope and sequence tools with lessons like CSCOPE); and the tested curriculum (STAAR/EOC). If these are not aligned… Student success suffers and teachers spin wheels with lots of effort but little to show for it. In Texas, the written and tested are decided. We have to align the last item or our campuses fail with big gaps between disaggregated groups. CSCOPE is not perfect, but it was born out of a politically highlighted need. It’s still a work in progress. Try to write scope and sequence with pacing guides and lessons and units on your own as a small district… This might have been possible with adequate funding and unlimited time. Neither of which our state provides. The ESCs just tried to fill that tall order, on an accelerated timeline, on a limited budget, without state aid help. So no wonder it has gaps and is still developing. But it’s an aligned start.
Think. Work. Achieve.
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: The Fundamental 5 National Summit (Multiple Presentations); NASSP National Conference
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation and like Lead Your School on Facebook