When it comes to comfort level with bootleg technology, one either has it or not. For those of us who have it, what we have to try to remember is at one time we were in the “not” camp. So ask yourself, “What got me to move?”
My guess it was one of four reasons.
A. Natural curiosity B. Compelling need C. Peer pressure D. Someone pushed or pulled me
So what does this mean to your school? Look at your staff; the natural curiosity people are already chomping at the bit to do more with bootleg technology. Let them. By doing so, they will naturally create the other three elements on your campus. Their success and efficiencies will create a compelling need. As more people get on board, peer pressure increases. And finally, one of the new users will be a friend with a non-user. The user will grab his or her friend by the hand and drag that person kicking and screaming into the 21st century classroom.
Never underestimate the power of people just trying to help each other get better.
A number of you in the LYS Nation are now using your own bootleg technology devices to follow Twitter. If you haven’t done so yet, we want you to join us. To let you see what you are missing, here are the Top 10 LYS Tweets from the week of July 29, 2012.
1. Congratulations to LYSer, Dr. John Jenkins! He is the new principal at Kingsville HS. Who will be next?
2. Congratulations to LYSer, Andy Peters! He is the new superintendent in Marfa ISD. Who will be next?
3. Congratulations to LYSer, Socorro Garcia! She just got married! And will be joining the staff at Corker ES. They will be amazed!
4. I have learned that when people fail in my organization the reason is likely a leadership failure. On my part. Tough to accept. (By @txschoolsupe)
5. Our district’s improvement is attracting more at-risk students. I suppose if you build an oasis in the desert you should expect thirsty people. (By @txschoolsupe)
6. Getting ready to implement The Fundamental Five. Can’t wait to see the results! (By @lkpool)
7. Funding public education is my litmus test. Bothered by poor school funding? Do something about it. (By @principalkinney)
8. Elite performers are obsessives. Balance and greatness are not positively correlated.
9. There is no need to wish for the return of the “good old days.” Now, is the golden age of instruction.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Livingston ISD Leadership Team Kickoff, Channelview ISD Leadership Team Kickoff, Comal ISD, Leadership Team Kickoff, Bushland ISD Staff Kickoff, Canadian ISD Staff Kickoff, Highland Park ISD Staff Kickoff, Sunray ISD Staff Kickoff, Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote), Advancing Improvement in Education Conference (Multiple Presentations), American Association of School Administrators Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation