In response to the 8/23/2012 post, “The Superintendent’s Corner: The Anti-testing Resolution Part -1,” A LYS Nation Superintendent sent in the following.
It is exceedingly clear that we are on the same page with our thoughts, except that I feel the passion to fight the legislators and an accountability system that uses ratings to destroy good things schools are doing. I believe that in the early and mid years of accountability in Texas it forced us to become better educators to all student groups, especially the underserved. Now I see us spending too much time focusing on test results (not necessarily student results) in the name of ratings and not focusing on providing an education that teaches students to learn and prepare them for their future.
And yes, the system and a political party (especially in Texas) have been hijacked by a few powerful and rich organizations and the people that operate those organizations. It is amazing how the same people run most of those organizations. I don’t want to get too political. Thank you for your response and I look forward to future blog dialogue.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote), Advancing Improvement in Education Conference (Multiple Presentations), TASSP Assistant Principals’ Workshop (Featured Speaker), American Association of School Administrators Conference (Multiple Presentations), National Association of Secondary School Principals Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation