A LYS Principal share the following:
Our superintendent just sent us a link to an instructional video on how to better teach LD students. While watching it I realized that the video is just a re-worded presentation of the Fundamental 5. There is no doubt your work in bringing those fundamental practices to light is right on!
So after I finished watching the video I sent the following reminder to my fellow principals.
“The video on working with LD students is right in line with coaching of Lead Your School (LYS) and the Fundamental 5. Just don’t lose sight of the fact that these practices are great for ALL students.”
Thanks for the help!
SC Response Thanks for sharing. I reviewed the video and thought that it was well done. I like the fact that the following was emphasized; the Fundamental 5 will help your struggling students by:
A. Ensuring students are aware of the purpose and goal of instruction (Frame the Lesson).
B. Using cooperative learning or peer grouping (Frequent Small Group Purposeful Talk).
C. Helping students see their success (Frame the Lesson, Work in the Power Zone, Recognize & Reinforce).
D. Promoting an “I-can-do” attitude (Recognize & Reinforce).
E. Making a strong personal connection with students (Work in the Power Zone, Recognize & Reinforce).
What was made quite clear is that teachers have a choice in the determining the quality of the instruction that they deliver. And by choosing to not do the above, the instruction they deliver will be sub-par.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Canadian ISD Staff Kickoff, Highland Park ISD Staff Kickoff, Sunray ISD Staff Kickoff, Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote), Advancing Improvement in Education Conference (Multiple Presentations), TASSP Assistant Principals’ Workshop (Featured Speaker), American Association of School Administrators Conference (Multiple Presentations)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation