According to the latest Pew Internet report over 90% of adults in the United States now have a cell phone and 55% of those who own cell phones use them to go online. Additionally, there are now over 30 million tablets in use in the country. And how are those tablets being used? To read, watch, listen, play, work, explore and buy. Bootleg technology is here. It is in homes, cars, buses, backpacks, pockets, purses and lockers. As a profession, we pay lip service to instructional relevance and real world connections. Bootleg technology is about as real as it gets. A number of you in the LYS Nation are now using your own bootleg technology devices to follow Twitter. If you haven’t done so yet, we want you to join us. To let you see what you are missing, here are the Top 10 LYS Tweets from the week of July 1, 2012.
1. LYSer, Brent Jaco, is the new principal at Lake Jackson Intermediate School! Who will be next?
2. Page 17 of Texas GOP Platform: “We support reducing taxpayer funding to all levels of education.” Republican teachers, did you read that? (By @johnkuhntx)
3. Absolutely terrifying. Republicans aren’t really even trying to hide their war on education anymore (By Peter Stuart)
4. As a teacher, I’m not a big fan of homework. If given it should fully support class discussions and be relevant. (By @CoachB1963)
5. “I must study Politicks and War that my sons may have liberty to study Mathematicks and Philosophy.” -John Adams (By @tlonganecker)
6. “I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, that two are a law firm, and that three or more a congress.” -John Adams (By @tlonganecker)
7. “You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.” —John Quincy Adams (By @DrFrankBuck)
8. Standards don’t change even though we may refuse to meet them. (By @CoachB1963)
9. Just read “The Fundamental 5.” Would love to implement. (By @patriot_teacher)
10. The numbers just came in. June 2012 was the best month yet for The Fundamental 5 (Cain & Laird) book sales. Thank you, LYS Nation!
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Confirmed 2012 Presentations: Channelview ISD Leadership Team Kickoff, Bushland ISD Staff Kickoff, Canadian ISD Staff Kickoff, Highland Park ISD Staff Kickoff, Sunray ISD Staff Kickoff, Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote)