A new LYS Principal share the following:
You may not have believed me at the conference when I told you that I was going to present your material to my Superintendent. Well… I did and my superintendent and my Secondary Administrative Team are sold on The Fundamental 5 and the coaching walkthrough program (PowerWalks).
Thank you for providing a REAL plan to improve our struggling school. I feel focused – I know I will not be chasing near as many “rabbits” this year. I am fired up and ready to implement. We have already bought a copy of the book, The Fundamental 5 (Cain & Laird), for every teacher and administrator and mailed it to him or her for summer reading. It will be our book study for the beginning of school.
SC Response Of course I believed you. You were at a professional development conference on your own time and you were actively participating in the session. Leaders who aren’t vested in the success of their school don’t do those things.
You are correct in your understanding that the focused execution of the Foundation Trinity and instruction embedded with the Fundamental 5 are key to the success of your campus. Just remember the World plays defense. The more the distractions and minutia of B and C priority activities are allowed to fill your day, the less sure you can be that the following is occurring on a daily basis.
1. The right thing is being taught. 2. The right thing is being taught longer. 3. The right thing is being taught better.
From a performance standpoint, the above is what matters. Everything else is just busy work.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Upcoming Presentations: Livingston ISD Leadership Team Kickoff, Channelview ISD Leadership Team Kickoff, Bushland ISD Staff Kickoff, Canadian ISD Staff Kickoff, Highland Park ISD Staff Kickoff, Sunray ISD Staff Kickoff, Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote), Advancing Improvement in Education Conference (Multiple Presentations), American Association of School Administrators Conference
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation