Here’s some good news on the bootleg technology front. A recent survey indicates that the use of smart phones by principals and other top school district administrators is up to 30 percentage points higher than that of the general adult population. The gap is even larger when the use of tablets (ex: I-pad) is considered. That means that as leaders in the knowledge industry, more and more of us are taking advantage of advances in knowledge tools. Chalk one up for the supposed “lazy, stuck in the past” good guys.
But good news notwithstanding, why this information is important is because of another trend the survey identified. It seems that school leaders who use bootleg technology are twice as likely, than school administrators who don’t use it, to allow teachers and students to also use bootleg technology on their campuses. So what does this mean?
A. If you are a principal, or a central office administrator over multiple schools and you have not embraced your own personal use of bootleg technology, get on board now. By not doing so, YOU are holding your staff and students back. And for the record, education icons and admitted “old guys,” E. Don Brown and Robert “Bob” Brezina both are daily users of bootleg technology. If you are a principal, embrace your inner “Brown.” If you are a superintendent, embrace your inner “Brezina.”
B. If you are a subordinate leader (AP, Assistant Superintendent, etc.) and your boss isn’t using bootleg technology it is time to lead up. Show her the power of the tools. Get her set up and support her as she learns. You get valuable, low stress, face time with the boss. But more importantly, you, your staff and your students may soon reap the benefits of newly inspired, forward thinking leadership.
As the above mentioned survey confirmed, a number of you in the LYS Nation are now using your own bootleg technology devices to follow Twitter. If you haven’t done so yet, we want you to join us. To let you see what you are missing, here are the Top 10 LYS Tweets from the week of June 10, 2012.
1. The assessment of a campus without factoring out false positives and factoring in adversity provides a skewed view of excellence.
2. Fundamental 5 is so obvious, yet so amazing! Can’t wait to explore more! (By @krista_scott)
3. Dr. Rascoe: “You wanted to be a principal. You must Lead Your School. Every day.” (By @S_Snell)
4. Mr. Montelongo: “Leaders have to have direct and frank conversations with poor teachers.” (By @S_Snell)
5. Dr. Seabolt: “The biggest shock to a dysfunctional school system is for administration to actually do what they say they are going to do.” (By @S_Snell)
6. Superintendents and their salaries are the result of a market-driven skill set. How much will they be worth if there is a shortage? (By @DrJerryRBurkett)
7. School boards are a terrible way to run schools. Until you consider the alternatives.
8. No coincidence that Cain’s sessions are always packed at TASSP. The Fundamental 5 increases student learning! (By @blitzkrieg607)
9. Was just informed the success of Lead Your School campuses was discussed yesterday in a meeting at the White House!! Go LYS Nation!
10. Just got the news. The Fundamental 5 (Cain & Laird) was the best selling speaker book, by far, at the 2012 TASSP Summer Conference.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
LYS is currently conducting a Principal Search. For more information, click on the link. http://tinyurl.com/LYSSearch
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Confirmed 2012 Presentations: Channelview ISD Leadership Team Kickoff, Bushland ISD Staff Kickoff, Canadian ISD Staff Kickoff, Highland Park ISD Staff Kickoff, Sunray ISD Staff Kickoff, Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation