In response to the 4/10/2012 post, “If We Could Just Keep Our Friends From Helping – Part 1,” a LYS Principal writes:
I agree with all your points on this issue. I see much clearer now how accountability has changed education in a positive manner. I still have concerns about the coming accountability measures and the unknowns, but I do believe that accountability is not the criminal. What is criminal is the people that use accountability as a club to beat us into efficiency. Or those that measure what was never measured before and then call us on the carpet for manufactured failure. I think that most educators are working as hard as they can; they just are working on the wrong things. The Fundamental 5 clarifies what to work on and how to do it better. Thanks for blazing a path for a clearer understanding of great educational practice with your book and insight.
SC Response First, thank you for the kind words about our book and our work. Second, we are on the same page with accountability. We have both seen that it is good for students and we have both seen that in the hands of idiots it is a weapon of opportunity.
What is frustrating is that because the majority of our profession is so anti-accountability we have abdicated the issue to those who see it as a tool to dismantle public education. The answer is not, “No Accountability.” The answer is not, “Punitive Accountability.” The answer is, “Professional Accountability.” Professional Accountability would impact all of us, in every classroom, and drive increased opportunities for all students. My dilemma is that I know what it look likes (I see it at LYS campuses across the country), I just can’t figure out how to get every campus there.
Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/Fundamental5
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “Look at Me: A Cautionary School Leadership Tale” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/lookatmebook
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Confirmed 2012 Presentations: Channelview ISD Leadership Team Kickoff, Bushland ISD Staff Kickoff, Canadian ISD Staff Kickoff, Highland Park ISD Staff Kickoff, Sunray ISD Staff Kickoff, Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote)
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation