I just came across an app that allows the to student alert the teacher if he or she is confused or needs some assistance. Seemingly a great use of bootleg technology and a tool that makes the teacher more efficient. Except that it isn’t.
The power of bootleg technology isn’t its ability to replace good teaching practice (the teacher in the Power Zone, making micro-adjustments to instruction based on real-time formative assessment). The power of bootleg technology is that it places the depth and breadth of human knowledge in the palm of your student’s hand. Beware of the app and the degradation of teacher practice that makes your live classrooms more like an impersonal virtual classroom.
A number of you in the LYS Nation are now using your own bootleg technology devices to follow Twitter. If you haven’t done so yet, we want you to join us. To let you see what you are missing, here are the Top 10 LYS Tweets from the week of May 20, 2012.
1. The change in adult practice is the leading indicator. The change in student performance is the lagging indicator.
2. The deeper the deficits in student knowledge, motivation, and courage, the longer they have to be exposed to better instruction to improve.
3. Let me sum up your STAAR data analysis: “We know we have a lot a work to do. Now let’s do it.”
4. Remember, until we see disaggregated statewide data, your STAAR test results are just raw info. Good and bad are relative terms.
5. $30 million to administer the STAAR? What budget crisis? (By @cheadhorn)
6. And now the uncomfortable reality of sole teacher accountability for test results begins to set in.
7. THE critical factor in the pursuit of greatness is pain threshold. Good rarely hurts.
8. Life is a contact sport. Buckle your chinstrap and have fun!
9. Before you debate the merits of a student dress code, ask if the adults are willing to model the code. If the answer is “No,” drop the issue.
10. Bigger classes, lower-paid teachers, public money diverted to private schools, $1 billion to Pearson. If you aren’t standing up now, when will you? (By @johnkuhntx)
Vote. Vote. Vote. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/4ydqd4t
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation
- Now at the Apple App Store: Fun 5 Plans (Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan Tool); PW Lite (Basic PowerWalks Tool); PW Pro (Mid-level PowerWalks Tool)
- Confirmed 2012 Presentations: TASSP Conference (multiple sessions); Region 10 ESC Fall Leadership Conference (Keynote)