A long time reader shares, SC, As a believer in the LYS Nation and faithful reader of your daily blog/post, I wanted to submit some information on our middle school here at Tom Bean ISD. As you well know, Tom Bean Middle School Principal, Dewitt Smith, is a huge follower and LYS administrator. Last week it was announced that Tom Bean Middle School is one of six Texas “Schools to Watch” and will be showcased and presenting at the Texas Middle School Associations Annual Conference held in Galveston, Texas in March and at the National Schools to Watch Conference held in Washington, D.C. this June. Here are some of the observations of the selection committee:
- TBMS knows and articulates the academic outcomes they seek.
- TBMS takes deliberate steps to help students achieve those outcomes by making strategic changes in curriculum, teaching, and school services.
- TBMS sets benchmarks for implementing their strategies, and hold themselves accountable for specific results—data guide instructional planning and campus decisions.
- TBMS strategically concentrates its energies on important focus areas.
- TBMS has strong, visionary leaders who can articulate challenging goals, and motivate faculty and staff to reach those goals.
I have attached a link to our local news that did a great news piece as well as a written article on their website. When you watch the video, pay careful attention to the book showcased on the right side of the screen over the edge of Mr. Smith’s shoulder. It’s a little free publicity for “The Fundamental 5”!!! I thought you might enjoy this. The video is located on the far upper right had side of the front page of the website: http://www.kxii.com/news SC Response This is awesome news; news which has spread like wildfire. You can’t believe the number of people who are talking about TBMS. But even with this deserved recognition, what I love about Dewitt and the staff is that they are never satisfied. This is just one step in a continuous journey to redefine what is possible at their “little ol’ school.” The video is great, and yes, the shot of “The Fundamental 5,” in Dewitt’s office is a classic. Think. Work. Achieve. Your turn…
- Call Jo at (832) 477-LEAD to order your campus set of “The Fundamental 5: The Formula for Quality Instruction.” Individual copies available on Amazon.com! http://tinyurl.com/4ydqd4t
- Follow Sean Cain and LYS on www.Twitter.com/LYSNation
- Get the Fundamental 5 Lesson Plan App at the App Store – Fun 5 Plans
- Upcoming 2012 Presentations: Region 16 ESC Leadership Academy (Keynote Address); NASSP Conference; NASB Conference